Thursday, November 8, 2012

Rowen eats!

About a week or so before Rowen was officially 6 months old, I started offering her one small meal a day of rice cereal and milk.  She had been very fascinated by watching us eat for quite a while before that.  Ever since that first week of cereal, she has been super excited about and receptive to every new food that she's been offered!  We have been so lucky that she is by no means a picky eat so far.  So we've kept introducing new foods.

I haven't subscribed to an particular "method" of introducing foods.  Obviously I've stayed away from the "no nos" and she does not have any salt, sugar or oily/greasy/artificial foods.  We try to make sure almost all of her foods are organically sourced.   I have a couple of books as resources and then mostly we've just been letting Rowen eat what we eat, minus seasonings and then pureed (I wasn't comfortable with just letting her eat everything we eat, ala baby led weaning).  The surprising result of this has also been the fact that I'm eating more vegetables.  But alas, I am still probably eating too many doughnuts and cupcakes every day.  Bahaha!






So far, Rowen's clear favourites are:

  • avocados
  • bananas
  • pears
  • carrots
  • sweet potatoes (technically yams too, she likes both)
  • dried apricots (unsulphured of course)
  • broccoli 
  • salmon (poached with apples, onions, carrots and pureed)
  • rice rusk cookies or plain rice crackers
Rowen also enjoys eating:
  • apples
  • papaya
  • prunes
  • oatmeal
  • bagels
  • lentils
  • squash
  • pumpkin
  • potato
  • purple hawaiian sweet potatoes
  • eggs
  • chicken (usually pureed with squash or sweet potato)
  • plain greek yogurt mixed with fruit puree
She will willingly eat but is clearly indifferent to:
  • peas
  • cauliflower
  • beef
  • tofu
  • zucchini 
Rowen does not like:
  • lemons
  • that's it for this list.
Technically zucchini is a brand new introduction, so who knows if she might wind up liking it.  And technically I think she liked the lemon, but I felt bad letting her eat it after watching babies eat lemons on YouTube.  Broccoli was surprising because I kinda hate broccoli but now that Rowen is around and enjoying it, I've probably had more of it in the past month than I have in the past 10 years!









1 comment:

  1. Ugh, Row is so cute it makes me feel like my brain will explode everytime I look at pictures of her <3

    ReplyDelete

Share your thoughts!